Sunday, November 4, 2012

Daylight saving(s)

I spend too much time reading fan fiction.

Psychiatry has been bleeding into neurosurgery for the past few weeks. Are you more interested in the driver or the car? What about the music playing in the car? What's driving the driver? Does it matter that it's easier to fix a car? (Is neurology even real.) This metaphor has fallen apart after much dissection. I really hope the guy I talked to on the psych ward doesn't have Creutzfeld-Jakob. (Dramatic med school patient story!! He probably doesn't.)

"The language of DSM-IV has become so influential in the discussion of mental disorders that the categories have been reified. Rather than being guidelines that attempt to gather similar individuals together, they have come to represent real entities (as is God created a specific disorder [such as Generalized Anxiety Disorder] while he or she was creating rose bushes)." -our psychiatry professor

"It's not ambiguous. If he looks like he has schizophrenia, he has schizophrenia." -favorite neurosurgery resident

"I'm confused. Brains are for cutting." -another resident

Last medical thing: peds. Sudden realizations came one after the other yesterday. Kids get better. They have full decades before them, not a few months of questionable quality. But don't bring an iPad near their heads

Election fatigue. I voted a few weeks ago and have somehow even convinced my mother to vote. Amelia and I saw Billy C, so that was exciting. Big Bird was there too. 

Time flies when you have (made and) eaten so much spinach tortellini today. So much. Oh, I also got locked in a stairwell the other day and finally got out via an emergency exit, climbing through a hedge, and clambering over a wall. All while holding brain slices. True story.

2 comments:

  1. How long has your name been T-Rex?

    Also, it's posts like this that make me really happy that I know you. Can't wait for hangouts around Turkey Day (because that's totally happening, right?).

    ReplyDelete
  2. A couple months, I think, a result of sudden-onset paranoia.

    And, 100% yes that's happening.

    ReplyDelete