Sunday, January 16, 2011

Resumed: Link Sunday

Feel it all around - Washed Out

These three sentences (emphases mine). Ready?

"The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office estimated that repealing the reform law would drive up the deficit by $230 billion over the first decade and much more in later years. For all his claims of fiscal rectitude, John Boehner, the House speaker, immediately dismissed the budget experts’ report as “their opinion.” In a particularly cynical move, Mr. Boehner and his new team have exempted the repeal bill from their own rule that any increase in spending be offset by cuts in other programs."


It was really interesting to see U.S. things unfold from afar for a few weeks. We watched some CNN in hostels and snippets of BBC in cafes. And when the Tucson shooting happened, we couldn't believe we felt safer in the slums of Cusco than we would in Arizona.

Other Sunday things:

1. KK is back in form. Pay particular attention to the second half of the column. I have a hard time believing that the only options are the world as it is and an impossible, perfect world. I believe that the world can be better and it is in my power, this generation's power, our society's power to make it better. And I feel an incredible amount of pity for Katherine if she feels powerless and resigned to accepting things as they are.

2. I need you to read this article that I read while waiting to get my haircut. There's nothing in it that you don't already know, but I still want you to read it.

3. I want you to watch this video that I poached from Zach. It is rare to hear it spoken so plainly.

4. I want you to watch this new show called Portlandia. I even put the Hulu link in for you. It's so good. I stared at the screen in amazement the whole time. And, you won't have to try to frantically remember what song they use for the title credits, because I've already put it at the top of this post. Please watch this show so I have someone to talk about it to.

No comments:

Post a Comment