Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Hey kids.

Med school is a blast. I'm learning a ton in anatomy and getting better at the dissections with every lab (I think). Most of the professors are general surgeons or orthopedic surgeons, and they spend an equal amount of time being on-topic helpful and off-topic helpful (general life inspirationish things). One of them bakes for us!

First exam in a week or so, in the biochem/genetics class. I'm glad we have it instead of just the giant block of midterms. I haven't really been studying for anything except anatomy, though, so figuring out how to work in time for everything else is a work in progress. May also be in danger of "over-resourcing" myself as one of the profs says, since I've bought every anatomy book anyone has recommended..

just a quick aside on this, because I'm very tired of obsessing over it. My parents assure me that I'm the only one really thinking about my age at all and to stop worrying about it and what other people think, and I'm inclined to believe them. But in lecture I'm surrounded by people whispering and trying to figure out who "the super young person" is. I'm included in these conversations, so it doesn't seem like I'm under suspicion per se, but what's bothersome is the very predictable turn these convos take: I feel bad for those people. Wow, their parents must have been really pushy and awful. I bet they have no social skills. Let's look for someone who sits way in the front and stays after to ask a ton of questions.

There's also this party (I know this is not a big deal, but if i can't be angsty on the internet...) for all the first-years that I want to go to, because bugger it, I've made friends and I want to hang out with them outside of the classroom. But they're checking IDs at the door. This is supposed to be to prevent undergrads from sneaking in but I don't see a way out of this without telling all the hosts about my Womb Exit Situation, which would be already making it a bigger deal than necessary. Bah. Any advice (or well-intentioned yelling at me) welcome. Amelia suggested I pose as someone's mom. This idea is still under consideration.

Finally. I want to start legitimately exercising (dissection makes you realize there's such a thing as "skinny fat") and running seems to be the best place to start. Any tips for super beginner beginners? I'm talking basics, like whether I should eat breakfast before or after. Please keep in mind that the fastest mile time of my life was 13 minutes, and that was a fluke.

Ending on a happy note! I really enjoy being so close to campus and have been adjusting fine to being by myself. (possibly related: my mother fills my fridge every week.) All of my classes are really interesting, with the possible exception about the let's-talk-about-our-feelings one, which is about to get better because we start learning the physical exam in a few days! And my professors are funny and great. And my classmates are a bit on the whiny side on average (pot calling the kettle brown) but more than balance that out with being ambitious, friendly, and really smart.

Okay. Anything specific I was supposed to cover? less personal life, more politix? Need me to read any essays? Want to help me use my coffee coupons? just flash the batman signal and I'll be there.

3 comments:

  1. Sneak in the back door. Or if you have to, climb in through a window on the second floor.

    Also, when I move back, I will definitely go running with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the party you are referring to a 21+ party? You should find another Indian girl who looks like you and is 21 and use her ID.

    In general though, I would say that initially, people will probably make a big deal about your age once they find out, given the competitive nature of people who want to pursue medicine too. It's also probably going to be unavoidable too. However, they'll get over it, and you'll be able to see who your true friends are then. Once you get to know people, age will become unimportant and they will focus more on your personality. That's my advice...probably nothing new but I hope things work out Tarini :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was mostly kidding about the ID thing, fyi...mostly.

    ReplyDelete