Sunday, September 12, 2010

Less angst, more biology

I love my textbooks. Especially the molecular cell bio one (not to be confused with "Molecular Biology of the Cell"- can you believe they're for different classes?). It's a fun read and I like that the figures are from original journal articles. Yesterday, I was mentally grumbling over having to annotate gene sequences for hours on end. Locating splice sites and branch sites, matching them against established consensus sequences, and defining untranslated regions seemed like busy work before I remembered--crap, my spliceosomes do this every day. They're probably doing it right now. And really frickin fast. With amazing accuracy. They do not have the entirety of Saturday, nor do they have textbooks and google to help. I stopped grumbling.

P.S. Thank you, evolution. I'm a big fan.

Sidenote on NY FW: I haven't been keeping up, because of the whole school thing. But those of you who live in Boston- could you hop over there? Just for a day or two?
Victoria's show was earlier today. Apparently it was "celebrating feminism and curves". Swoon. She is my favorite person in the entire universe, period. I cut my hair off for The Posh.

Side, side note: Obviously I do not expect feminism from my fashion. But when it's there, and without a big fuss (looking at you, Rodarte), it is a nice cherry on top. And Victoria sent her girls out with travel suitcases, not unwieldy purses or clutches. I like that a lot.

Obligatory Sunday fun.

"'If you wanted a toy, you had to make one,' he says."
Is going back in time your solution to whatever cultural malaise (disillusionment?) you seem to be feeling, Katherine? Come join us in the twenty-first century. We have mass-manufactured cookies.

And last time I checked, hobbies were supposed to be fun.

You guys! Texting means you're an adulterer. Wait, what?

EDIT: Turns out the above website is well-crafted satire. At least, I'd like to say it was well-crafted so I feel less dumb for believing it was real. Humor me?

2 comments:

  1. Poe's Law strikes again.

    Also I'm really excited for MBOC. What's the other one for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cellular & molecular neuro...haven't made up my mind about the class yet.

    Also I don't like it when you make me google because then I learn things.

    ReplyDelete