Thursday, October 7, 2010

The yooj

Today's cell biology lecture will be about active vs. passive transport, the Nernst equation, patch clamp technology, and ion channels. Please

1. Read an earlier post titled "Redundancy", then
2. Make this a non-clicker class so I can just stop going.
3. Also I swear half the people in the class are total sycophants. Laughing at every single "joke" of his will not help you on the test, kids. I promise.

In happy news
The rat is alive and well, save for his shaved and neatly sutured head. I'm glad I volunteered for the scrub nurse role; I actually got to do more stuff than the surgeon--all of the injections (not easy on a squirming rodent), surgery prep, drilling calculations/measurements, and the actual dye injections. The surgeon of our group did a great job, even while freaking out and declaring that she would never be a surgeon. Mr. Rat Baby was almost completely conscious by the time she had to sew him up, and we had already maxed out our anesthetics, so she was suturing an extremely unhappy, wildly wriggling rodent. But our group was first done and the only ones to not make a major mistake (injecting four times too much dye, suturing the surgical drape to the rat's head...) or have our animal die. Wheeee.

Um. I also volunteered our group to do the first presentation. But none of us actually know what affective pain IS.

...Pubmed Thursday.

1 comment:

  1. Ugh, more Nernst? I guess I can't complain, I've only seen it twice so far.

    3. Maybe you should work on that whole "having a sense of humor" thing?

    I think scare quotes are necessary to describe pretty much any "joke" I try to tell...

    ReplyDelete