Thursday, December 2, 2010

Circadian rhythm

We survived November. High five y'all.

I think this is Thoughtful Discussion Week. A deconstruction of abortion law on the connector (probably not the best place...) with fellow TA (happy birthday Ali!).

[Side note: I was telling my lab TA about one of the hospitals I toured on Monday. The women's hospital is ultra-swanky and has birthing suites with room service, and you can request a view of the lake. For you know. If you want to look at the lake while giving birth. Anyway the TA laughed and said something like, "...as if I was ever going to give birth anyway." And I kind of stared at her. And she continued, "Well I might consider adopting someday. But giving birth myself, no. Never."

Okay. I'm not sure why my reaction was to quickly look around to see if anyone else had heard her. And just being a little shocked that she shared that with me. I guess I just assumed that people who reject the "be fruitful and multiply" dogma would feel compelled to hide it or be apologetic about it; she was neither. And that is frickin amazing and caught me absolutely off guard. I tried to make a joke about how frank she was being and failed miserably and quietly went back to my microscope....well handled, self. I really hope I didn't make her feel awkward.]

Also a convo with a fellow Peru-tripper about our experiences with crazy pre-meds and how incredibly insensitive some of them are. And I was more than a little self-righteous, I'll admit, in telling her that those ones never get "there" (or at least, I have only seen very calm and articulate and kind people there). It was really more about the culture of ridiculousness that surrounds this whole process. There is a whole industry of companies that prey on terrified high schoolers and college students---you have to take X course to get Y score on section Z and you have to have an interview coach and have your essays proof-read a year ahead of time. And the student groups. Let's not even talk about the student groups.

Also, I think there will soon be a discussion of New Atheism. And I almost picked a fight with Zach about birds, but someone else did it for me, and better than I would have.

Now playing: Shots shots shots shots shots shots, etc. I'm not sure why this is happening.

Also if somebody could remind me to go to that lecture on melanopsin...that would be great. One chemical that's possibly the key to our mental, emotional, hormonal responses to day and night. Wheee. And, there will be cookies.

Umm, please read this. I went through the 3D scanning thing, but then they still had to give me a "pat down" since there was a zipper on my shirt. The pat down consisted of confirming that there was, in fact, a zipper on my shirt.

Third one was tricky. I'm not sure how it went. But, fourth one's the charm, right?

2 comments:

  1. The post wasn't about birds! It was about journalism. And I admitted to not being entirely clear, I was ranting.

    I stand by my conviction against using the word gay to describe a wide variety of behaviors. Homosexuality-fine. But gay is a human construct that includes more than just behavior. I was only trying to deconstruct the importance of constructs. No comments on science.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's all good, Cassius. I get it. Sensationalism sells, even/especially in science.

    Let's not sit by each other on the bus again.

    ReplyDelete