Friday, December 10, 2010

A means to mighty ends

A bit of background information is in order. Many med schools are currently in a state of curriculum flux. It is not unusual to hear an admissions rep refer to it as "transitioning". Anyhow, this last one is changing in a rather different way from most. With that out of the way I now present to you a special reversed and non-fake edition of question-and-answer.

Q: Can you tell me more about the curriculum change? Why is the basic science stage so much shorter than at other schools?

A: We basically took all the redundancies- and scrapped them.

Boom.
I want to go to there.

Favorite interview day. First off: three hours, in and out. This was great because as much as I'm used to a long school day, one of these things going for 8 hours or whatever is extremely tiring.

Also, in researching this school I noticed how many absolutely innovative ideas come out of that place every day- whether it's a truly groundbreaking way of educating or internal efforts to make healthcare more affordable.

Oldest public hospital in the country. "Pre-revolutionary"--as in the war.
The first ambulance. (It was a horse-and-buggy affair.)

I teared up during the tour...twice. I'm not even sure why. #goingcrazy
Hopefully no one noticed...

Also they had really delicious sandwiches...
I really hope they let me in. It will be hard to hide my disappointment if they don't.

Also I'm kind of over airports now...too bad I have to go to another in less than three weeks...wait, WHAT?!

Me: Well, when it comes to chronic pain treatments, it was hoped that the human genome project...
Interviewer: Now that was a pain, wasn't it?!

"Prometheus, teacher in every art, brought the fire that hath proved to mortals a means to mighty ends."
--Aeschylus

"When an axon of cell A is near enough to excite cell B and repeatedly or persistently takes part in firing it, some growth process or metabolic change takes place in one or both cells such that A's efficiency, as one of the cells firing b, is increased."
--Hebb's postulate, describing activity-dependent synaptic plasticity

the Arthur theme song - Ziggy Marley

Kal Ho Naa Ho - I love this song, okay? don't judge me.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear it went well! I hope you get in too--new york city is an amazing city to live in as a young adult.

    ReplyDelete